Cover Letter to Portfolio

I think of myself as being an OK writer, I’m not great but I also don’t think I’m horrible at it either. I see myself as being more of a logical thinker because my academic strengths are math and science, and not so much an emotional thinker because I’m not so good at reading and writing, it’s sort of my academic weakness. With that said I also definitely know the importance of reading and writing because people need those skills to advance in life. Such as reading street signs, or the newspaper, knowing how to write a job application, or a letter to someone, these skills are needed in everyone’s life.

In my portfolio I have the three assignments I felt I did well in. The first being an ethnography which i chose to do on the subculture of people who go to Planet Fitness gym. I chose this place because it relates to my theme of health and medicine from it being a gym. And also because it was a good place that I would have access to go in and observe what goes on everyday, and because my mother was already a member there and now I am as well.

The second piece i did was the text wrestling assignment where i chose to read the article Letting Go because it had to do with my theme of health and medicine. The first part being about the summary of the article which is about how modern medicine is good at prolonging life of terminally ill patients at their discomfort, but also more about how much more of a good option hospice might be for those patients to consider so they can spend their days at home with family and friends in comfort, which has also been shown to prolong live in those patients. The second part being about my response to this article and my thoughts and opinions.